Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Book Review: Protecting What's His by Tessa Bailey


By: Tessa Bailey
Published by: Entangled / Brazen
Released on: February 23rd, 2013
Source: purchased e-book
Series: Line Of Duty #1
4 Stars: I Enjoyed It
Purchase from: Amazon
Add it to Goodreads

She’s running from the law, and the law wants her bad.

The opportunity was just too damn delicious for Ginger Peet to pass up. The purse full of money she finds—$50,000 to be exact—could give her and her teen sister the new start they need. So she grabs the cash, her gothy sibling, and their life-sized statue of Dolly Parton, and blows outta Nashville in a cloud of dust. Chicago, here we come...

Turns out, Chicago has some pretty hot cops. Hot, intense, naughty-lookin’ cops like Derek Tyler, who looks like he could eat a girl up and leave her begging for more. And more. Tempting as he is, getting involved with the sexy homicide lieutenant next door poses a teensy problem for a gal who’s on the lam. But one thing is certain—Derek’s onto her, and he wants more than just a taste. 

And as far as he’s concerned, possession is nine-tenths of the law.


This is definitely one of those guilty pleasure reads that has a ton snark, humor, and plenty of sparks flying. I've come to realize that I can not go wrong with an Entangled/Brazen book.

I'll be honest. I've been very snobbish when it comes to reading NA and Romance books. Very few authors have want I love in a NA / Adult book, which is the perfect blend of romance, humor, snark, as well as some sort of plot line. I don't want to just read a book about characters getting it on. I want to read a book that has something more to it as well. Tessa Bailey gave me all that with this one. Ginger and Derek both have issues, and things they're either running from, or trying to deal with. I liked that over the course of the book I got to find out what made them the characters they are. Because holy hotness batman, these two have chemistry and then some.

Ginger is hilarious! She is stubborn, sarcastic, and one heck of a strong female lead. I seriously loved her. She had me laughing through out the book. I admired her for wanting to do whatever it took for her to protect her little sister, even if that meant breaking the law and getting them the heck out of dodge. Little does she know they find themselves in the same apartment building as one hunky police officer, Derek. Let's just say not only do the sparks fly between these do, but so does the sarcasm.

Derek a man on a mission, and that mission just so happens to be Ginger. Boy, when this man knows what he wants he won't settle for anything less. He's straight forward, dominant, can be a bit arrogant, and holy hotness batman, he's one heck of a dirty talker. Normally all these things combined would make think he was an ass, but Derek was so dang hard not to like. He gets under your skin, as much as Ginger got under his. Speaking of Ginger, Derek is just as over protective as Ginger is, okay well maybe he's more over protective than she is, but for good reason. Working on the police force has made him that way, and I can see why.

I loved that Derek and Ginger both knew how to dish it to each other, and how to take it. Their chemistry was explosive. The sparks and sarcasm literally flew off the pages with these two. Their romance is hot! Seriously. Derek doesn't doesn't play around. Let's just say there's some definite steamy scenes in this book! Protecting What's His is definitely one of those guilty pleasure reads mature readers will enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree w/you. I need more to my romance novels that just sex. The book HAS to have substance and a truly interesting and engaging plot for me to call it good. Tessa is easily my fave Brazen author. I love her! Yes! I loved Ginger and how strong she is. And Derek is my kind of alpha male! I loved their dialogue. Great review Katie. I hope you get a chance to check out the other books in this series. I loved them all!

    Vi
    AKA Vi3tBabe
    Deity Island

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. Sure it's fun to read something sexy, but I need more than just sexy to get me hooked. I"m definitely reading more of her book! YES, Derek was FABULOUS! Thank you for recommending her other books Vi! I'm totally checking them out. :)

      Delete