Thursday, January 30, 2014

On Dublin Street by Samantha Young, Book Review


By: Samantha Young
Published by: Penguin
Released on: 12/31/12
Series: On Dublin Street #1
Source: I purchased it
Purchase from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Target
Add it to Goodreads

Jocelyn Butler has been hiding from her past for years. But all her secrets are about to be laid bare… Four years ago, Jocelyn left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Scotland, burying her grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without attachments. Her solitary life is working well—until she moves into a new apartment on Dublin Street where she meets a man who shakes her carefully guarded world to its core. Braden Carmichael is used to getting what he wants, and he’s determined to get Jocelyn into his bed. Knowing how skittish she is about entering a relationship, Braden proposes an arrangement that will satisfy their intense attraction without any strings attached. But after an intrigued Jocelyn accepts, she realizes that Braden won’t be satisfied with just mind-blowing passion. The stubborn Scotsman is intent on truly knowing her… down to the very soul.

I am a huge Samantha Young fan. I've been reading her books since back when she started self publishing her YA series, and a couple new adult/adult books. So, a long time fan. When I learned that she had a new series, and a new, adult contemporary one at that, I couldn't wait to purchase this book and read it. This was one of these first new adult books I had read, at least at that time. I read this right after it was released. 

On Dublin Street show cases some of the things I love in Samantha's books. These are things I've come to realize are signature to her writing, such as plenty of snark, great character chemistry, and moments that emotional invest me with her story. Oh yeah, this book has sexy times, and plenty of laugh out loud times. I loved that combination. In between those moments, are also moments of heart break. Samantha does such a great job at balancing all of these elements perfectly. 

Joss is a flawed, broken, and incredibly strong willed character. She's a character who's been through a lot, but does her best to not let those things rule her life, though in many ways they do. It's a good thing Joss is so stubborn and strong willed, or else she'd be a character in some serious trouble. She does a good job at holding herself and her life together, that is until she meets Braden.

Oh Braden. Yeah he's the hotty who shakes up Joss's carefully built up walls, and doesn't take no for an answer. In fact, one of the things I loved about him is take charge mannerism both in his life, and in the bedroom with Joss. Cue the blushing..... he's not shy about anything. *coughs* Braden is more than looks, and smooth moves. He's also an intelligent man, who figures out how to get to Joss, and allows her to learn to trust in him. I loved these two. They can turn up the heat, and also throw the banter around like no one's business. They both compliment each other well. 

I enjoyed On Dublin Street. I didn't love it as much as I have with Samantha's other books.  I don't know, just something didn't quite connect with me like it had with her other books. The only compliant that I really have was the language. I get the swearing, but with Joss, I felt like her swearing was way over the top, and after a bit it started getting on my nerves. To me it made her seem less appealing. Maybe that's something that made me not enjoy the book as much as I had hoped to. With that being said, I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series. 

*Note, this was a review I have long had written, and for some reason never had it posted anywhere. This review is over a year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment