Monday, January 27, 2014

Werewolves Be Damned (Magic & Mayhem #1) by Stacey Kennedy, Book Review


By: Stacey Kennedy
Published by: Entangled Publishing
Released on: April 15th, 2013
Series: Magic & Mayhem #1
Source: e-book
Rating: 5 Stars- I Loved It!
Purchase from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Add it to Goodreads


Nexi Jones—part witch, part guardian, and wannabe kick-ass warrior—can’t throw a punch or conjure the simplest magic. But that doesn’t stop her from hunting the werewolves who slaughtered her human family. She’ll have her revenge, but only if Kyden, the elite guardian, would get the hell out of her way.
Kyden can’t decide if Nexi wants to get herself killed or if she just has no clue what she’s doing. But her father made it clear: keep Nexi safe…or else. Of course, the more Nexi runs toward revenge, the more she needs Kyden’s aid, and as she grows into her power and confidence, so does his desire to protect her. The only problem? She’d rather he dropped dead.
But when a vampire paints a bull’s-eye on Nexi’s back, she’s hard-pressed to deny Kyden and the help he’s offering. Even if it means getting her revenge will be a little bit harder. At least it will still be as sweet.
This story was previously published elsewhere under the title The Willow in 2010and has been revised and expanded for Entangled Publishing.
This is an urban fantasy book worth picking up! I totally devoured this book in no time. I absolutely loved it. It had the perfect dose of sizzling character chemistry, lore, vivid world building, great characters, action, and sexy times. I loved the mix of Guardians, werewolves, witches, vampires, and humans. Just when I think I've read enough of the same old urban fantasy / paranormal books, this one gave me something intriguing and fun to read. 

Nexi is thrown into a strange and bizarre world she had no idea existed. Having her parents murdered by werewolves, and then saved from the attack herself by two Guardians, she's now out for revenge. In the process of trying to figure out who killed them and why, Nexi also has to figure out where she belongs in her new world. I really enjoyed learning more about Nexi's new world, and watching her discover her new abilities. She was an interesting character for me. She's someone I rooted for from the get go. She's strong, independent and goes for what she wants. I also loved her snark, her ability to kick some serious butt, and her toughness. 

Kyden is a character who stole the book for me. What's not to love about a brutally honest, sexy alpha Guardian who will do anything he can to help the girl he saved the night her parents where brutally murdered. Kyden in his own right is tough. He respects the rules of world he's grown up in, and I like that about him. I loved how he pushed Nexi. These two are the perfect couple in every way possible. For all the times she pushes him, he pushes back and visa versa. Boy does he know how to heat things up between the two of them. They have some sizzling chemistry that burned through the pages of this book. It is HOT!

Aside from my love for Kyden and Nexi, I loved the magical, supernatural aspects of a world that excited along side the human world. Not to mention the great group of supporting characters that make up this story. Thea cation in this book is awesome! This book has a lot going for it, and I enjoyed every moment I spent reading it. I'd definitely recommend adding this one to your new adult/adult reading collection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment