Sunday, February 2, 2014

Rule (Marked Men #1) by Jay Crownover, Book Review


By: Jay Crownover
Published by: William Morrow
Released on: October 22nd, 2013
Series: Marked Men #1
Source: book from publisher to review
Rating: 4.5 Stars- I Really Enjoyed It
Purchase from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Add it to Goodreads

Opposites in every way . . . except the one that matters 

Shaw Landon loved Rule Archer from the moment she laid eyes on him. Rule is everything a straight-A pre-med student like Shaw shouldn’t want—and the only person she’s never tried to please. She isn’t afraid of his scary piercings and tattoos or his wild attitude. Though she knows that Rule is wrong for her, her heart just won’t listen.

To a rebel like Rule Archer, Shaw Landon is a stuck-up, perfect princess—and his dead twin brother’s girl. She lives by other people’s rules; he makes his own. He doesn’t have time for a good girl like Shaw—even if she’s the only one who can see the person he truly is.

But a short skirt, too many birthday cocktails, and spilled secrets lead to a night neither can forget. Now, Shaw and Rule have to figure out how a girl like her and a guy like him are supposed to be together without destroying their love . . . or each other.


Jay Crownover what have you done to me? This was a book I had excepted to pick up, breeze through, and move on to the next book. Boy was I ever wrong. Sure I breezed through it, then I went and picked up the next book in the series. As far as moving on... yeah right! Crownover's characters are not characters I can easily move on from. These complicated guys, and the women who fiercely love them, are characters who got under my skin in a good way and made them irresistibly hard to just read about them and be done with them. They got into my head.


Oh Rule! Rule lives by one rule in life, and that's his own rule. He lives life is own way, and has always done his own thing, no matter what anyone says or thinks. He is who he is, and he doesn't pretend to be anyone but himself. While I admire his live life to the fullest in his own way, I wanted to slap him for being so stubborn. Why? Because since the death of his twin brother, Rule has been on a mission to do everything in his power to numb out that feeling, including love. Too bad for him, he's met his match in stubbornness, and she doesn't take no for answer. Nor does she care about his tattooed covered body, piercings, and hair that constantly changes colors. 

Shaw is fabulous. She is seriously AWESOME! This girl has put up with so much crap with Rule for years now. At first I couldn't figure out why in the heck she'd stick around and put up with Rule's manwhoring ways, but once I understand that she loved him, and she wasn't going to let him ruin himself or shut out her love any more, I was 100% behind her cheering her on. It was no easy feat dealing with Rule, and his family. I loved that Shaw is the only other person who got Rule's family. After all, she's been apart of that family for years now, since she was Rule's brothers best friend/girlfriend. The fact that she's had a crush on Rule since she was fourteen made their relationship that much more appealing. I love that she's loved him since then despite all his flaws and all that he's gone through and done. She's been the only person who's ever stood up for him, and her loyalty is one of her strongest qualities. She's never given up on Rule, even when he gave up on himself. 

The funny thing is, they have a relationship that I totally got. Because to everyone around them, they can't stand each other. At least at first. The love they have for each other makes them so mad at the things they do. Like Shaw is always there to bail Rule out of whatever he gets into. Rule can't get his act together. Shaw has her own things she has to deal with, and Rule can't admit his feelings for her at first, and says and does things just to push her away. Once these two get together, holy hotness batman, the sparks fly! Who knew Rule could be such an alpha guy, especially in the bedroom. That's one of the things that surprised me about him. I was not accepting that sexiness out of him. It was hot!!

I loved that Crownover wrote this book in dual points of views. Getting into both Rule and Shaw's heads was seriously the most perfect way to write this book. It allowed me to know them, and really understand the motives behind their actions. It's not only them that makes up this story. Rule has some of the best secondary characters I've read in a new adult series. Talk about book of characters you end up falling for. Every character was so well crafted, and I ended up caring about all of them. Somewhere during the course of reading RULE, the characters went from being characters and felt more like people I actually cared about. Yes they're complicated, complex, and have their own demons they all are fighting, and they sure as hell know how to put up a good fight before with all they deal with, and in falling in love. Dang it, these characters had me crying, laughing, and totally cheering them on. 

Crownover's writing is fabulous! It's realistic. I love that she doesn't just sugar coat anything. I liked that she makes me fall for her characters. Sure I wanted to slap Rule and the guys up side the head for being stupid at times, but who hasn't made mistakes in their lives. Rule, his brother and his best friends don't pretend to be people they're not. They are who they are. I admire the fact that none of them make excuses for who they are, including the girls. My only complaint is I wish I had picked this book up earlier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment