Friday, February 28, 2014

Take A Chance by Abbi Glines, Blog Tour & Book Review


Hello & Welcome to today's stop for Simon & Schuster's TAKE A CHANCE blog tour! Today's top features my review, and be sure to stop by Simon & Schuster's Take A Chance tour page to enter to win 1 of 5 signed copies of the book & an Abbi Glines tote bag HERE



By: Abbie Glines
Published by: Simon & Schuster
Released on: February 25th, 2014
Source: book from the publisher to review
Purchase from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Add it to Goodreads

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Abbi Glines comes the story of Grant, the sexy playboy who first captured readers hearts in Fallen Too Far.

When Harlow Manning's rocker father goes on tour, he sends her to Rosemary Beach, Florida, to live with her half-sister, Nan. The problem: Nan despises her. Harlow has to keep her head down if she wants to get through the next nine months, which seems easy enough. Until gorgeous Grant Carter walks out of Nan's room in nothing but his boxer briefs.

Grant made a huge mistake getting involved with a girl with venom in her veins. He'd known about Nan's reputation, but still he couldn't resist her. Nothing makes him regret the fling more than meeting Harlow, who sends his pulse racing. Yet Harlow wants nothing to do with a guy who could fall for her wicked half-sister—even if there are no strings between Grant and Nan. Grant is desperate to redeem himself in Harlow's eyes, but did he ruin his chances before he even met her?

This is my first Abbie Glines book. I've heard a lot of great things about her books. In fact I've got a few of her books sitting on my shelves waiting to be read. I've heard a lot of great things about her newest release, Take A Chance. When I was asked to be apart of the tour, I jumped at the chance to read Harlow's story.

I liked Harlow. She is one of those sweet, down to earth girls, who just wants to be noticed for who she is, and not who her father is. Given the world her rock and roll of a legend father is apart of, I love that he tried to shield her from it, and that she didn't fall into the partying, doing drugs, and sleep around atmosphere. She had this sweet innocence about her that the rest of those around her no longer had. Harlow is also a girl who while is innocent, also comes across as shy, and an easy push over. The more I read about Harlow, the more I realized she's definitely none of those things. I loved the feisty side of her that ends up coming out. She definitely needs it. She's got people in her life that she could totally do with out.... like her evil half sister Nan, and Grant. While the ending broke my heart for Harlow, I hope this girl gets the guy she really deserves. 

Oh Grant. I really, really wanted to like this guy, but I just couldn't. Sure he has a few moments that seem like he might redeem himself, but I just couldn't get past the part where he takes the innocence of sweet Harlow, which she willing gives him, and then weeks later sleeps with Nan again. Now before you gag on that, they have a history of no strings attached, cheap thrills kind of relationship. Once Harlow was apart of the picture, I couldn't move past THAT. Neither could Harlow for much of the book. That's just the part of. Grant is a man-whore. I'm not a fan of the word whore, but he's one. The fact that he gets around, and then tries to get his protective, "she's mine" attitude to Harlow didn't fly with me. 

I went back and forth with this book. Part of me hard a very hard time connecting with any part of it. At all. Having a connection to the characters and the story is huge for me. I didn't buy into Grant and Harlow's relationship, nor could I deal with the back and forth both of them had. I felt they lacked character chemistry. I know I might be in the minority when I say this. I didn't feel that sizzle I like to read about when two characters have a physical attraction to each other, and clearly they did. 

While I had a hard time with Harlow and Grant's relationship, which made up a huge chunk of this book, there were parts of this story I really enjoyed. I love Rush and Blaire. I totally want to go pick up their series, now that I've read Take A Chance, as I didn't read it before reading this book. I didn't feel like I needed to, as Glines does a great job at explaining to the reader the history and the relationship that Rush, and Blaire have with Grant, and how Harlow's family intertwines with their families. I loved Rush and Blaire's relationship. Even though I don't know them well, I could tell these two characters had a real relationship, and connection with each other. I love how Rush says it how it is with Grant. He's not afraid to call Grant out on his crap. Too bad Grant didn't take more advice from Rush. 

Another character I loved was Mase, Harlow's brother. He was every bit the big ole' Texas size protective big brother I had excepted him to be. I love the relationship he has with Harlow. He saw things in black and white, and said things as he saw them. He's someone I hope gets his own story at some point. The other part of this story that I liked was seeing this other side to Harlow's dad. I won't give anything away, but seeing this side of him was heartbreaking, and so sweet all at the same time. While this book lacked in connection for me, it made up with some depth, a lot of great family ties/bonds that Harlow's father's band members and their families have, and gave me secondary characters I totally loved. 

Be sure to go to Simon & Schuster's Take A Chance tour page HERE to follow the rest of the tour stops & to enter to win!!

No comments:

Post a Comment