Thursday, March 13, 2014

Marine For Hire by Tawna Fenske


By: Tawne Fenske
Published by: Brazen (Entangled)
Released on: 3/3/14
Series: Front & Center #1
Source: e-book from publisher to review
Rating: 3 Stars - It Was A Good Read
Purchase from: Amazon | B&N
Add it to Goodreads

She thought she’d sworn off military men for good…
Sam Kercher is every inch a wickedly hot Marine. Tall. Sexy. Lethal. When his best friends call in a favor, Sam is forced to face an entirely new line of duty—playing nanny for their newly divorced sister and her squirming seven-month-old twin boys. If Sam can dissemble an M16 in his sleep, diaper duty should be a cakewalk…right?
Unfortunately, Operation Nanny isn’t quite that simple. Sheridan has sworn off overbearing military men, so Sam must protect her from her dirtbag ex without revealing just how much he has in common with her brothers. Or that he’s been ordered not to touch her. Ever. Problem is, Sheri’s one hell of a gorgeous woman, capable of making this hard-bodied Marine even harder. And Sam wants herbad.
Protect the girl. Care for the babies. Hide his identity. And keep his hands off. But even the most disciplined Marine has weaknesses…and Sheridan is one Sam might not be able to resist.

I'm a huge Brazen fan. I've enjoyed many of the books they've published, so when given the chance to review this one, I jumped at the chance. There's just something about a big ole' hunky marine playing a manny that I couldn't resist reading. While I enjoyed reading about this Marine change diapers, and take care of twin babies, there was something that I felt was missing from this story. I liked reading about Sam and Sheri, and getting to know them more. I loved the fact that Sam was hired on by Sheri's over protective brother to play manny, and watch over both Sheri and her twin boys.

Sheri is a great character. She's still trying to figure out the ropes of being a first time mom, as well as dealing with her recent divorce. I totally understood her insecurities with being a first time mom. I liked that while she had them, she didn't dwell on them too much, and when she did, Sam put her in her place in a way only someone who cared for you could, by telling her to stop worrying. Sheri is a take no crap women, and I admired her for her strength, and honesty. I loved her security in who she is now. She mentions in the book that she knows she's not back to her normally weight yet, but having just had babies she embraces her looks now, and she also embraces her sexuality. She's definitely a take charge women both within her every day responsibilities, and when it comes to her and Sam. I liked that she went against the norm that I've read about all too often in adult books, where the women follows the lead of the man. In this case, Sam could take charge, but he often follows Sheri's lead.

Being a marine, Sam is used to discipline, though Sheri is one temptation he won't be able to resist, even if her brother told him hands off his sister. I liked that Sheri and Sam didn't hold back on their attraction to each other. They share a few pretty steamy scenes together. I have to give mad props to Sam for being straight up with Mac, Sheri's brother, and letting him know his feelings for her. For his part, I loved the Mac was protective of his sister, though she does prove she can handle her own. There is something that comes up with Sam, and though I'm glad the issue is resolved, because from the get go, we know why Sam can't be upfront with Sheri about the matter, the resolution happened a little too smoothly for me. I don't what it is about reading / seeing a guy take care of a baby that's hot, but it is. Sam is definitely one manny who knows how to take care of the babies, and his women.

Normally when I read a Brazen title there some key things that I've come to except in their books, and usually get- and that's some sizzling chemistry, and a little bit of angst. Something always hinders a relationship in these titles, and the characters always have to work through it. While the chemistry was evident with Sam and Sheri, I felt that I was told more about it, vs having it ignite the pages of the book. I also missed that little bit of angst in Sam and Sheri's relationship. I know that sounds lame as I write this. Sometimes it's nice having things just work out, but in this case I needed a little something more. Given that lying is set to be a huge turn off for Sheri, which I'm glad it was, it didn't have more of a consequence as I would have thought it would. Also, having Sheri's ex be this crazy, unstable marine, who literally should have been a guy that would have made my skin crawl, he didn't feel that way to me. Yes he does some stupid, crazy, insane things that cross that line in a huge way, and I'm glad Sam was there for her, and her brother Mac, but I ended a little something more to really feel that danger that he was.

Over all this was a good read, but I needed to feel more of the emotions I was reading about, in order to really enjoy the book as much as I wanted to. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in this series.


No comments:

Post a Comment