Friday, March 14, 2014

Rome (Marked Men #3) by Jay Crownover, Book Review



Published by: William Morrow
Released on: January 7th, 2014
Series: Marked Men #3
Source: book from publisher to review
Rating: 4.5 stars
Purchase it From: Amazon | B&N
Add it to Goodreads

Cora Lewis is a whole lot of fun, and she knows how to keep her tattooed bad boy friends in line. But all that flash and sass hide the fact that she’s never gotten over the way her first love broke her heart. Now she has a plan to make sure that never happens again: She’s only going to fall in love with someone perfect. 

Rome Archer is as far from perfect as a man can be. He’s stubborn and rigid, he’s bossy and has come back from his final tour of duty fundamentally broken. Rome’s used to filling a role: big brother, doting son, super soldier; and now none of these fit anymore. Now he’s just a man trying to figure out what to do with the rest of his life while keeping the demons of war and loss at bay. He would have been glad to suffer it alone, until Cora comes sweeping into his life and becomes the only color on his bleak horizon. 

Perfect isn’t in the cards for these two, but imperfect might just last forever . . .

Hello Rome! I love it when an author does something in their book / series that I was not excepting. Jay Crownover does just that with Rome's story. Wow, I was not excepting that turn in the story. I mean that in an oh so fabulous way. 

First off, Cora is probably my favorite girl out of the series so far. She's a tiny spitfire of a girl. She has to be, given she works with the guys at the tattoo shop. Someone has to keep the guys in line. Which if you've read the previous two books, you know that's far from easy. Not only is she sassy, and totally awesome, she holds her own, is totally real and upfront, down to earth, and says things the way they should be said. She's honest. One of the things I most admired about her, is her loyalty to all the characters in the series. She has these guys backs no matter what. She first encounter with "Captain No Fun" aka Rome, had me laughing. Yeah, love her nic-name for Rome as well. Like each of the characters in this series, Cora has a flaw that I think many of us can relate to. 

Cora's had her heartbroken, and in a bad way. From that, she's decided she's not settling for anyone but "Mr. Perfect". Not that I can blame her. Luckily she's got some good friends who worry about her, and want her to realize that in holding out for Mr Perfect, she may end up missing out on a good thing. That good thing is Captain No Fun himself. I loved Rome in Rule, but Rome in this book is someone who comes back very haunted, and broken from the events of war. I swear I didn't think I could love him any more. Dealing with his own demons changes Rome. He's not the same Rome we met in Rule, and that is both heartbreaking, and something I'm glad Crownover did with Rome. No one comes back the same from War. Though it broke my heart to see Rome's change, it felt more realistic in reading his story, seeing those changes. Not only that, these changes play a huge part in the growth Rome makes in this book.

Rome, like Cora is extremely loyal to his family and friends. He's always been the protector, and the one to make sure everyone was okay. It was interesting in seeing the dynamic change from Rome going to protector, to someone who still protects those he loves, but he's also someone he needed protecting, but of a different kind. Cora and Rome seem like the perfect opposites attract couple, but they have more in common that loyalty to those they love. 

Rome and Cora both have a lot they're trying to cope with individually. Together these two have something special, each other. I know that sounds cheesy, but it's true. These two are there for each other like no one else can be. Luckily with the two of them, what you see is what you get. There's no sugar coating things when it comes to Cora and Rome. Though they can both be intense at times, Rome more so that Cora, they do have their moments that made me laugh, especially when it came to their nick names for one another. Captain No Fun for Rome, and Half Pint for Cora. Cora and her fun loving ways, compliments Rome, and his more no nonsense ways. They balance each other perfectly. I loved that they never tried to change each other, but instead embraced their differences, and supported one another.

Rome and Cora have a sizzling chemistry! I LOVED that these two are responsible adults. Everything that gets thrown their way they think through, even if one of them over thinks things. I admire the two of them for not just jumping into things head first. It's nice to see characters work things out. At first they may have had different goals in life, but when something changes those goals, together they make it work. The other things I loved with this story is seeing more of Rule and Shaw, and the rest of the characters. Seeing Rule and Rome, and their parents work things out was so great to see. 

Here's the thing like about this series, the characters. The girls are just as bad a as the guys are. Each of the characters has their flaws, and things they have to work through. I love seeing how these characters grow and change. No matter what, each of the characters in the series is always there for each other. I also love seeing all the characters's stories continue with each book in the series. I adore Rule, but Rome takes the cake for me. I have a feeling that Nash, the next Marked Men book, will end up being my favorite. I can not wait to find out what transpires after the end of Rome, with Nash. 

Check out my reviews for Rule, Marked Men #1 & Jet-Marked Men #2 .
Say HELLO to Nash!


No comments:

Post a Comment