Monday, March 3, 2014

Trying to Score (The Assassins Series #2) by Toni Aleo, Book Review




Published by: Loveswept
Released on: 4/23/13
Series: Assassins #2
Source: purchased e-book
Rating: 4 Stars - I Enjoyed It
Purchase from: Amazon 
Add it to Goodreads

In a captivating novel of second chances and healing hearts, the newest member of the Nashville Assassins pulls a power play to make things right with the one that got away.
 
Fallon Parker’s dream has always been to turn her family’s wine company into a runaway success and eventually start a cellar of her own. Since graduating from college, she has worked relentlessly to make that dream a reality, especially after taking a chance on love—and losing. By the time Fallon becomes an official sponsor of the Nashville Assassins, she feels like all her hard work is finally paying off. And then the man who broke her heart skates back into her life.
 
On the ice, Lucas Brooks is the NHL’s leading scorer—at least when he’s not in the box. Off the ice, he’s a mess, with all his anger and misery bottled up inside. He threw away the most important person in his life and has regretted it ever since. But when Lucas returns to Nashville in a trade, he’s determined to convince Fallon that he’s a changed man. The attraction is still there. The tension is electrifying. But the odds are stacked against them—especially after Lucas finds out that Fallon has been keeping a devastating secret.

I know I've said this many times before here on the MM's Guilty Pleasures blog, I am a huge sucker for a book that combines romance and sports, especially when those sports are either ice hockey or football. This book was a fabulous guilty pleasures read. It had sizzling character chemistry, ice hockey, sexy times, and two characters who had to learn to let go of the past in order to move on and have a feature together. The only complication with that, the past they need to let go of, is one that involved the two of them. Did I mention this story has ice hockey?

Trying to Score is book two in Toni Aleo's The Assassins Series. I had been hearing a lot of buzz about her series and it wasn't until I met her at the Houston Book Rave this past fall that I picked up her first book. Though I haven't read that one yet, yes, I know, I'm reading this series out of context, I totally dove into this book. Even though I haven't yet read book one, there is plenty of detail, history and flash backs that I didn't once feel lost on what was going on, and who the characters are. There are some awesome characters in this book, and some of them are ones Toni introduces readers to in book one. 

Trying to Score is a sizzling read. I love that there is plenty of depth to this story that made me emotionally connect to it, and plenty of sexy times that ignited the pages. 

Fallon is amazing. I admired her strength. Given all that she goes through, she's a strong character. She has to be. There's a lot that she's had to deal with in the seven years since she's been with Lucas Brooks. There were times that as the story continued, that I got annoyed with Fallon. After awhile it got old reading about her same issues, and fears. I felt it was overly mentioned in the story, which made Fallon seem whiney to me. I know she's not a whiny character. Luckily she redeems herself, and realizes that some of those fears are what is holding her back. I loved seeing her learn to let go and trust again.

HELLO Lucas Brooks! Seriously, this is one hot hockey player who's not only a bad a on the ice, he's got this whole other side I loved getting to know. I loved it when he realized his mistakes from his past, and grew up from them. His pursuit of getting back the one person who has meant everything to him was so fabulously written. Nothing is stopping him from getting Fallon back. Despite his sexiness, his dirty talk, and the way she makes Fallon feel, I love that Fallon didn't just jump right back into his arms. When you read the book and now why she doesn't, you'll know why I admire her for that. Lucas knows how to play dirty, and get under Fallon's skin. Nothing gets in his way when he wants something......

Fallon and Lucas are so much a like, it definitely adds to that fiery passion they have. They're head strong, take charge competitors who stop at nothing to get what they want. When you have two characters who want nothing more than to win, it makes for an interesting read when both of them want each other, but one isn't giving in so easily. I enjoyed seeing them work through everything. Once Lucas's finds out about Fallon's secret, things take an excepted turn, and I have to say these were some of the sweetest times in the story. 

I loved the flash backs that Fallon and Lucas have, and the all the moments they have together through out the book.  I loved the two of them in the beginning, during the times when Lucas was winning her over again, and then of course the end! I laughed, and cried with these two. Other times I sat there and swooned. The snark, the bantering, and the way these two can dish out to each other is awesome. It's hilarious to watch how they effect each other, and they both know exactly what to say and do to get the other one going. That also makes for some serious passion. Fallon and Lucas's chemistry and feisty, fiery and hot! Wow, those sexy times sizzling. 

This was one awesome guilty pleasures read, and I'm really looking forward to meeting more of the characters from this series, as well as seeing what the future holds for Lucas and Fallon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment