Wednesday, December 24, 2014

INSPIRE Blog Tour: Author Interview with Cora Carmack & Enter To WIN!



Hello & Welcome to today's INSPIRE blog tour stop, hosted by InkSlingerPR. 
I'm so thrilled to have author Cora Carmack on the blog today to talk about her newest release INSPIRE. 




Hi Cora! Welcome back to Mundie Moms's Grown Up Book Review blog. I am so thrilled to have you here today. Congrats on your newest release, INSPIRE. How would you describe your book in 5 words or less?
1. Romantic
2. Intense
3. Emotional
4. Sexy
5. Mysterious 


INSPIRE has all the right elements in it. You introduced me to some great characters I loved getting to know, you have sizzling character chemistry, sexy times, an awesome paranormal romance, and I love how you always blend together the angst, sassiness, and lighthearted moments that I've come to except with your books. What element was the most fun for you to create? What was the hardest?
Is it a cop-out to say “the entire book”? :D I had SUCH a blast writing this story. Before Losing It was published, I was writing fantasy pretty much exclusively. The first book I ever wrote (which is unpublished and hidden away in the dark corners of an old computer) was fantasy, and I feel very much at home writing in a paranormal universe.  In a way it was harder than writing a contemporary romance, because there were so many different aspects of the story to juggle, but in a way that also made it easier - if I got bored or stuck in a romantic scene, I could switch gears and focus on a paranormal scene, or vice versa. 

As far as the hardest element….I won’t spoil anything, but there’s a part about three fourths of the way through the book (around the end of Part 3) that almost broke me. I always get really emotionally invested in my characters when I write, and I just remember sitting on my couch writing that part and SOBBING. I’ve never been so thankful that I live by myself, because I was a MESS. I’m sure Kitty Katniss thought I had lost my mind. 


INSPIRE is awesome! What is one of your favorite quotes from your book? Do you have a favorite scene? For the sake of spoilers, please feel free to just say the chapter or page number.
Favorite quote is probably... "I don't give a f*ck about genius, but I'll take madness if it gives me you first." 


That Wilder has a way with words. ;) I also really loved writing Ch. 2, specifically the second half when Kalli is struggling with the darkness that her ability brings out when she doesn't use it as she's supposed to. That was just such a different and interesting scene. 


Let's talk about Kalliope (Kalli) for a moment. I really like her character. What's something you admire about her? 
I love Kalli's complexity.  She's lived so long that nothing is black and white for her. She appreciates the beauty that her gift gives her, but she also hates it a little too. Art is her whole world, her entire existence, and she does love it. But there are times when she desperately wants a existence far away from creativity of any kind. It's incredibly fun to play with a character that has that kind of dynamic. Especially when it's not about her being indecisive. It's just the effect of immortality. I also find it strangely comforting to know that even after all these years, she doesn’t have everything figured out. I loved being able to discover new things within this character who has been alive for millennia. 


I love mythology and loves how how you infused Greek Mythology into INSPIRE. I feel adding in Greek Mythology into a story would require a lot of research. Really it would intimidate as a writer. Did you do a lot of research when you were writing INSPIRE?
I wasn’t too intimidated since I had a lot o knowledge of Greek mythology already. I mean, I don’t claim to be a Greek scholar or anything :) but I’ve always been interested in it, and Greek mythology is a huge part of theatre history, which I studied in college and taught during my two years teaching high school theater. I did a little bit more research to dig into muses specifically - for example, their names. Kalliope was actually an obvious choice, b/c she was the oldest of the sister and her name was easiest to modernize. But rather than getting caught up  making sure I was being entirely “historically” accurate, I just kind of threw that all away and wrote the story. Greek myths were handed down through generations by word of mouth and in various works of art, so of course the details changed over time. You can research a particular myth and find four versions of the same story.  So I didn't stress about being 100% true to the information out there. I had to make this world (and Kalli) my own.


Hello Mr Hotness. Let's talk about Wilder. *fans self* I'm at a loss as to what to even ask about him, other than the fact I think he's my favorite male character of yours. In terms of your other male characters, was he pretty easy to write, and get to know? I imagine he had a lot he wanted you to write.
You know, I say this about every book boyfriend right after writing them - but I really think Wilder might be my favorite. He’s such a good guy, and so selfless. It took me a while to get him how I wanted. In the first draft, he was too sweet. So I went back and made him sexier, more masculine. I also didn’t plan to write from his perspective. I originally planned for the book to be entirely from Kalli’s POV, but once I actually started writing, it didn’t work as well as I thought it would. We needed to see Kalli from an outsider’s perspective, and having his POV helped to ground the book as NA, by showing his real life, human struggles. It also helped flesh him out (and made him even sexier). And yes, I have it on pretty good authority that he would look nothing short of amazing in a kilt. ;)





About INSPIRE

Buy Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | iTunes | Kobo


Kalliope lives with one purpose.

To inspire.

As an immortal muse, she doesn’t have any other choice. It’s part of how she was made. Musicians, artists, actors—they use her to advance their art, and she uses them to survive. She moves from one artist to the next, never staying long enough to get attached. But all she wants is a different life— a normal one. She’s spent thousands of years living lie after lie, and now she’s ready for something real.

Sweet, sexy, and steady, Wilder Bell feels more real than anything else in her long existence. And most importantly… he’s not an artist. He doesn’t want her for her ability. But she can’t turn off the way she influences people, not even to save a man she might love. Because in small doses, she can help make something beautiful, but her ability has just as much capacity to destroy as it does to create. The longer she stays, the more obsessed Wilder will become. It’s happened before, and it never turns out well for the mortal.

Her presence may inspire genius.

But it breeds madness, too.

About Cora Carmack
Cora Carmack is a twenty-something writer who likes to write about twenty-something characters. She's done a multitude of things in her life-- boring jobs (like working retail), Fun jobs (like working in a theatre), stressful jobs (like teaching), and dream jobs (like writing). She enjoys placing her characters in the most awkward situations possible, and then trying to help them get a boyfriend out of it. Awkward people need love, too. Her first book, LOSING IT, was a New York Times and USA Today bestseller.

Links:




Enter To Win
  a Rafflecopter giveaway

Follow The Tour:

December 15th
Smart & Savvy with Stephanie – Review & Character Interview





The Book Cellar – Guest Post 

December 16th

Lost in Lit – Review & Character Interview-Kallie and Wilder


NC 2 DC – Review

The Cover Contessa – Review 

Movies, Shows & Books – Review 

December 17th

K-Books – Review



The Boyfriend Bookmark – Review 

Romance Addict Book Blog – Dreamcast 

December 18th
Author Groupies – Review

Booklovers For Life – Review 

Bloggers[Heart]Books – Excerpt



Ficwishes – Review 

December 19th

Worn Down Glories – Excerpt

Jen in Bookland – Review

Vi3tbabe – Review

Ticket to Anywhere – Guest Post

December 20th
Four Chicks Flipping Pages Review & Playlist


Watcha Reading – Character Interview-Lennox


December 21st

The Shadow Realm – Review

Nose Stuck in a Book – Author Interview

StuckInBooks – Review

December 22nd
Anna's Book Blog – Excerpt

Lovin' Los Libros – Review 


shelf life – Review 

Novel Grounds da - Review


December 23rd
Stuck In YA Books – Review & Guest Post

LuLo Fangirl – Review

Give Me Books – Review 


Step Into Fiction – Review 

Krista's Dust Jacket – Review 

December 24th
Grown Up Book Reviews / Mundie Moms – Review & Author Interview



Wendi Galbreath – Review


Cocktails and Books – Review 

No comments:

Post a Comment