Thursday, March 23, 2017

My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella / Book Review


By: Sophie Kinsella
Published by: Bantam Press
Released on: February 7th, 2017
Purchase from: The Publisher | Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
Add it to Goodreads
Rating: 5 Stars - I loved it!!!

Katie Brenner has the perfect life: a flat in London, a glamorous job, and a super-cool Instagram feed.

Ok, so the real truth is that she rents a tiny room with no space for a wardrobe, has a hideous commute to a lowly admin job, and the life she shares on Instagram isn’t really hers.

But one day her dreams are bound to come true, aren’t they?

Until her not-so perfect life comes crashing down when her mega-successful boss Demeter gives her the sack. All Katie’s hopes are shattered. She has to move home to Somerset, where she helps her dad with his new glamping business.

Then Demeter and her family book in for a holiday, and Katie sees her chance. But should she get revenge on the woman who ruined her dreams? Or try to get her job back? Does Demeter – the woman with everything – have such an idyllic life herself? Maybe they have more in common than it seems.

And what’s wrong with not-so-perfect, anyway?

Oh you guys, I needed this book so badly. I have been in The Book Slump to End All Book Slumps lately and my sure-fire way to cure this is to turn to the genre that never, ever fails me -- Brit Chick Lit. The Queen of that genre (for me, at least) is Sophie Kinsella. How wonderful for me that she came out with a new book this past month. I picked it up and devoured it immediately.

Katie Brenner is my kind of heroine, yes, she's spunky and determined, but she's also a country girl trying to fit into a city lifestyle. She changes everything, even her accent in an attempt to be more like her boss (who seemingly has everything). You know exactly how the plot will unfold, but this is Sophie Kinsella and she twists plots in such a clever way that you're never quite sure how things will end up.  This is exactly the case with My Not So Perfect Life. Just when you think AHA! I know what's going to happen next, a hiccup occurs throwing the characters off kilter. I so love this, and it's always the medicine I need when I'm trying to attack the Book Slump Plague.

Katie's journey is not just one of a  The Devil Wears Prada nature. Yes her boss, Demetra, has the exact life everything everyone seemingly wants -- a soaring career, a devoted husband, two wonderful children and more fabulous evening engagements then anyone can imagine. Her instagram feed is the envy of all career women. But beneath all the glamour and seeming togetherness, lies an altogether different story. Without spoiling the plot, it's this story that makes the book much less formulaic than I expected and in my mind, it merits those extra stars.

The way Katie and Demetra's paths criss-cross and their relationship develops is filled with truly funny, worrisome and satisfying moments. I would only wish every single career girl, starting off on their path, the very same experience. It made me think of my very worst boss ever (think Devil Wears Prada and you are SO THERE). I wondered if there was something beyond her seemingly ridiculous demands and impossible expectations? And if I knew more about her personal life would my opinion change? Not sure, but Sophie did make me wonder for a moment or two.

The romance is, as you would expect, a deliciously paced will-they-won't-they kind. The way they meet is so very logical. It adds a clever subplot to the overall story. And it's so perfectly, so Sophie-ly swoony.

If you're in the mood for a romantic read with some comedic moments and a really well paced plot, pick up, My Not So Perfect Life. It made me fall in love with chick lit all over again.
SaveSaveSaveSave

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Kinsella! I am so excited about this one, and I had no idea you have an adult book review site. (yay!)
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you stopped by! Thank you for reading the blog. Katie, very wisely, started this blog a few years ago as an outlet to review the adult books we read. It's not as active as MMs, but we sure have a lot of fun on it!

      Delete