Thursday, April 20, 2017

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella / Audiobook Review

UK cover.

By: Sophie Kinsella
Narrated by: Jayne Entwhistle
Published by: Dial Press
Audiobook Publisher: Random House Audio
Released on: April 23, 2013
Purchase from: amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository | audible
Add it to Goodreads 
Rating:5 stars 
Source: Purchased

I've lost it. The only thing in the world I wasn't supposed to lose. My engagement ring. It's been in Magnus's family for three generations. And now, the very same day his parents are coming, I've lost it. The very same day. Do not hyperventilate Poppy. Stay positive!!
Poppy Wyatt has never felt luckier.  She is about to marry the ideal man, Magnus Tavish, but in one afternoon her 'happy ever after' begins to fall apart.  Not only has she lost her engagement ring but in the panic that followed, she has now lost her phone. As she paces shakily round the hotel foyer she spots an abandoned phone in a bin. Finders keepers!  Now she can leave a number for the hotel to contact her when they find her ring. Perfect!
Well, perfect except the phone's owner, businessman Sam Roxton doesn't agree.  He wants his phone back anddoesn't appreciate Poppy reading all his messages and wading into his personal life.
What ensues is a hilarious and unpredictable turn of events as Poppy and Sam increasingly upend each other's lives through emails and text messages.  As Poppy juggles wedding preparations, mysterious phone calls andhiding her left hand from Magnus and his parents... she soon realises that she is in for the biggest surprise of her life.

SaveSave
U.S. cover
I adore Sophie Kinsella's stories as you already know, but for some reason, I hadn't read what is one of her highest rated stories until now. I know -- WHY WAS I WAITING? No idea, truly, except that I have that Busy Mama thing happening constantly in my life even as the mom of teens/tweens. So, I purchased the audiobook (aside: Sophie's audiobooks are so well produced!) and fell into a perfectly told story!

I think I mentioned in my last review here that I've been in a book-slump-to-end-all-book-slumps this year. It seems nothing can hold my interest, except audiobooks. So on the heels of reading Sophie's My Not So Perfect Life, I immediately downloaded another of her books. Oh, Poppy was a delight. I could completely relate to her losing her engagement ring and picking up an abandoned cell phone. I locked myself out of my apartment two weeks in a row before my wedding. I totally remember the scatterbrained, overloaded moments. Poppy has some other complications, though. Like, is her fiancé truly the right guy for her? What about the phone's real owner, Sam?

What ensues is a well-timed, well plotted, tension-filled romantic plot with so many giggle-filled moments. I've always loved a madcap, what-if story, and this one is extremely well executed.
You will cheer for a certain thing to happen (not going to spoil it for you, but if you love your romances as much as I do, you already know what it is), and when it does, it's going to be sooooooo amazingly perfect.

One of the things that I loved about this story (and also, My Not So Perfect Life) is how Sophie weaves in the side characters as well as family. I don't think there is another author in this genre who does it so seamlessly. I'm that reader who always wants to know a little bit more about the characters, and here we get just that.

So as the weather warms up and your mind starts drifting towards summer and that inevitable beach/pool bag filled with romances, this is one that I would 5-star recommend. Don't do what I did and wait to read it!



SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment